Monday, January 27, 2014

crispy salty kale chips {v,gf}


hi friends. How was the weekend? We celebrated Arik's birthday Friday night with a few friends at a super delish dinner downtown. Saturday was spent lunching and bebopping. And Sunday consisted of beer brewing and kale baking (I'll let you guess who did what.)

I wasn't sure what to expect with these. I've seen tons of recipes for kale chips on Pinterest, but honestly, I'm not a huge fan of kale.....maybe because I've never prepared it like this. Kale is usually too bitter and heavy for me. But with these chips, I was pleasantly surprised. Baking the kale takes all the bitterness away. You're left with crispy, light-as-air, chips. They remind me of a popcorn mixed with greens. Salty, crispy, healthy, and addictive. Four words that don't often go together, but it makes me happy when they do.

*****************************
crispy salty kale chips
{gluten free, vegan}

{{{INGREDIENTS}}}
*a bunch of kale
*tbsp of olive oil
*couple pinches of salt

{{{DIRECTIONS}}}
1. Preheat the oven to 300.
2. Clean and dry kale (make sure kale is really dry).
3. Remove the leaves from the stems and tear into bite sized pieces.
4. I used a misto to spray the kale with olive oil. If you don't have a misto, toss the kale in olive oil.
5. Spread the kale onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
6. Sprinkle a little salt over the top.
7. Bake for 15 minutes or until crispy.

Store in airtight container.