Thursday, January 30, 2014

banana chai smoothie {gf,v}


Happy thirsty thursday! 

I've been on a bit of a smoothie kick. That must mean warmer weather is coming. RIGHT??? Lately, most of my smoothies have had some kind of green in them...but this little beauty is more of the dessert variety. Sweet, creamy, cinnamon-y banana chai. Mmmmmm.

I love chai. This is definitely not as sweet as the chai you'd get at starbucks or as one of the mixes from concentrate, but it's about 200 times healthier. Ok, my math may be somewhat off...but it IS healthier. I can promise you that. Feel free to adjust the amount of maple syrup you add, and if you've got a major sweet tooth, go with a vanilla coconut milk. And if you are a cinnamon lover like me, you may want to add more of that in too. So I guess what I'm saying is...just keep adding/subtracting and tasting until you love it. That's a good rule of thumb for all cooking. And life.

**********************************
banana chai smoothie
{gluten free, vegan}

{{{INGREDIENTS}}}
*1 cup coconut milk (if you like a little sweeter, go with the vanilla otherwise unsweetened works)
*1 ripe banana (for a creamier smoothie, use a frozen banana)
*1 tsp cinnamon
*1/2 tsp ginger
*pinch of nutmeg
*1/2 tbsp maple syrup
*2 tbsp almond butter
*1/4 cup shredded coconut
* a few ice cubes

{{{DIRECTIONS}}}
1. Add the coconut milk, spiced, and shredded coconut and mix on low until the coconut is well blended.
2. Add the rest of the ingredients on low to medium until blended.

Serves 1