Friday, December 6, 2013

upcycled bar cart


Friday, thank goodness you're finally here. I had a weird little stomach bug all week that finally went away yesterday. So now I need to catch up on everything that's been shoved aside (a kitchen in shambles, jollyfish stuff, christmas cards, decorating for christmas ~ nope, haven't even put up a stocking) So yeah, lots of stuff getting done this weekend...or intending to get done. We may just belly up to our new bar cart.

We are super duper happy with how this turned out. I bought the cart for $20. It was in pretty rough shape, but it is fairly old, so it's to be expected. I mean, it had wooden wheels. I've never seen anything with wooden wheels before. I almost felt bad replacing them. But we had to go with function over form. But I knew with the gorgeous reclaimed wood we were using, no one would be looking at the wheels anyway. How amazing is that wood? We sanded it, treated it with butcher block oil, and just let the wood grain and little holes and blade marks shine through. Those little "imperfections" are my favorite part.

I wanted the base of the cart to look like old metal or slate, so I sanded, primed, covered it with a chalkboard spray paint, and then used chalk to "distress." In total, we spent less than $60 on the entire thing. Who's ready for a drink?






How cute is our little bar nook?! I love it! 
For the hanging chalkboard tutorial, click HERE
For the reclaimed wood & copper wine bottle holder tutorial, click HERE.


{cheers}