Monday, December 23, 2013

reclaimed wood peace sign


Happy Monday before Christmas! When I used to work in retail, December 23rd and 24th were always packed full of guys (usually aimlessly wandering with a deer-in-headlights kinda look). Hopefully, you're all done shopping and can spend the next few days just relaxing...or doing fun projects like this one.

We had a bunch of leftover odds and ends of reclaimed wood taking up space in the garage, so I decided to put it to use. This was a pretty easy project. I bought some cardboard letters at the craft store. You could use wood letters, but the cardboard ones are way lighter and cheaper. And once you paint them, they look just like wood. promise. I used Annie Sloan chalk paint in old white and then distressed the corners with sandpaper. Arik attached the 3 reclaimed boards together by nailing them to a strip of scrap wood on the back. Then we positioned the letters with a little wood glue, drilled holes where we wanted our nails to go, and nailed them all into place. You really don't need to nail the letters, but I like the look of the nails.
It adds to the rustic-ness. 

I'm really happy with how it turned out. I started this project thinking I just wanted the piece displayed for the holidays...but it may hang around a little longer. Peace until at least february in our house.
maybe even march.