Sometimes you just need comfort food. Cheesy, noodle-filled comfort food. This was one of those weekends. So we spent a little time in the kitchen on Sunday afternoon coming up with this tasty dish. I'd say this falls somewhere between a cheeseburger and spaghetti...both equally effective in terms of satisfying a comfort food craving.
We did manage to keep this dish on the lighter side by omitting the creamy soups and heavy butters casseroles generally use and by using a quinoa noodle. Quinoa is super light, delicious, and gluten free. This would be an excellent dish for little kiddos with wheat allergies...or for big kiddos who love cheese. Either way, happy kiddos.
cheesy hamburger bake
*1 lb lean, organic beef
*1 cup mushrooms
*1/2 onion, chopped
*8 oz box of quinoa noodles (or any other gluten free noodle)
*28 oz can fire roasted tomatoes
*2 cups colby jack shredded cheese
*seasoning for beef
1. Preheat the oven to 350.
2. In a large pan heat up olive oil over medium heat.
3. Add onion and beef. Season with your favorite beef seasoning. Let cook for 5 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, cook noodles until al dente. (not quite done all the way)
5. Add the mushrooms to pan and cook another 5 minutes. Drain any excess fat and set aside.
6. Grab an 8 x 11 pan and pour a thin layer of the tomatoes over the bottom.
7. Add the cooked noodles, then layer half of the cheese, the meat mixture, the rest of the tomatoes, and then the rest of the cheese.
8.Bake for 30 minutes.