Monday, October 21, 2013

apple pie amaranth {gf,v}


One of the amazing blogs I read was having a contest where the winner received a 10-day cleanse by Wellness by Design....and I was the lucky winner. (yay!...or should I be nervous?) I was given a beautifully designed e-cookbook with the encouraged foods and recipes, a field guide explaining the entire processes, and I'll be receiving daily motivational emails throughout the journey. This isn't one of those crazy only-eat-grapefruit-and-cabbage-soup cleanses. This is a whole food, completely nutritious, balanced, seasonal, and nourishing cleanse. For 10 days no gluten, meat (except fish), dairy, alcohol, coffee, or refined sugars. Since 90% of my meals are gluten free and vegan, it won't be a huge change...no coffee will be a little annoying challenging. But looking at all the yummy recipes, I think all the deliciousness will make up for the lack of Starbucks.

The first recipe I tried was the amaranth porridge. This was my first encounter with amaranth, and honestly I'm still on the fence. Amaranth is a tiny little seed that acts kinda like a grain. It's gluten free and super good for you. I'm a big texture person...and I'd say after it's cooked, amaranth falls somewhere on the texture continuum between a creamed wheat and grits. It may take a little getting used to. I tweaked the recipe a bit, and ended up with something resembling an apple pie porridge...apple pie porridge with some grit. I'm really glad I added the apples and raisins....loved that flavor combo and the added texture. Today's breakfast: A for flavor. C for texture.

I'm excited to see what the next 10 days brings!

****************************
apple pie amaranth
{gluten free, vegan}

{{{INGREDIENTS}}}
*1 cup whole grain amaranth
*2 cups almond milk
*1 cup water
*1 cup thinly sliced apple
*1/2 cup golden raisins
*1/2 cup chopped walnuts
*1 tbsp raw honey
*1/2 tsp cinnamon
*1/8 tsp nutmeg

{{{DIRECTIONS}}}
1.Add the amaranth, milk, and water to a medium pot and bring to a boil.
2.Reduce the heat to a simmer, and add in the apples and raisins.
3.Stir every so often, until most of the liquid is absorbed, about 30 min.
4. When the liquid is absorbed, add in the spices, honey, and nuts.

Serves 3-4. Store in airtight container in fridge and add a touch of almond milk before reheating.





Interested in the Autumn Cleanse thru Wellness by Design? Find it HERE