Monday, September 2, 2013

chocolate chip cookie brownie bars {gf}


I hope you all had a fabulous Labor Day. Gotta love a 3-day weekend. It was my birthday on Saturday, so it was super nice to have my hubby home an extra day. Arik always does an amazing job of making me feel special on my birthday. He came home from work early with flowers on Friday, picked out the most amazing ring (if you follow me on instagram you saw it here. Isn't it lovely?), and he went out in the rain (twice since they gave me the wrong order) to pick us up sushi from our fave restaurant. 
Such a sweetie. I feel very loved.

I couldn't decide what I wanted for a birthday treat, so I ended up combining my two favorites... brownies and cookies. The result? Pure awesomeness. We seriously loved these. Each layer could stand on its own, but together they are downright glorious. And then, just to push the deliciousness into a whole new realm, I drizzled melted peanut butter on top. 

Chocolate chips + peanut butter + amazing husband = happy, happy birthday.

*****************************
chocolate chip cookie brownie bars
{gluten free}

{{{INGREDIENTS}}}

*bottom layer*
*1/2 cup gluten free flour
*1 cup gluten free oats
*1 tsp baking powder
*1/4 tsp salt
*1/3 cup melted coconut oil
*1 tsp vanilla
*1/2 cup peanut butter
*1/4 cup honey
*1 egg
*3/4 cup chocolate chips

*top layer*
*1/2 cup gluten free oats
*1/2 cup cocoa (unsweetened)
*1 tsp vanilla
*1/2 cup coconut milk
*1/3 cup coconut oil, melted
*1 egg
*1/4 tsp salt
*1 tsp baking soda
*1/2 cup agave
*a couple spoonfuls of peanut butter for drizzling

{{{DIRECTIONS}}}
1.Preheat the oven to 350.
2.Start with the bottom layer by mixing together all the dry ingredients in one bowl and the wet in another.
3.Add the wet to the dry and mix.
4.Fold in the chocolate chips.
5.Press the batter into a greased 8x8 pan.
6.Bake for 10 minutes.
7.Meanwhile place all the top layer ingredients in the blender until everything is mixed well.
8.Pour over the bottom layer and bake for another 22-25 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
9.Drizzle melted peanut butter over cooled bars. Cut when completely cooled.

Store in airtight container for up to 5 days.









linked to:
Simply Sugar & Gluten Free HERE