Wednesday, July 10, 2013

diy texturizing sea salt spray {for beach hair}


The other day I was wandering around Sephora (always a bad idea for the wallet), and I stumbled across Bumble & Bumble's surf spray. It's a sea salt spray that adds beachy texture & volume to hair. I like the beach, and I have hair, so I gave it a whirl. I kinda loved it. It smelled amazing. And it made my hair feel wonderfully messy. You know, like you just spent the last hour leisurely strolling along the sandy shoreline...locks full of sun, salt, and perfectly wind blown. But at $25 for 4 oz., 
I knew I could save a few bucks and make my own. 

This is a super easy DIY. And you probably already have most of the ingredients. I used an aveda hair gel I had on hand, but any gel will do. Since I have naturally wavy hair, I didn't need a lot. If your hair is straighter, you may need to add a little more gel to your mixture. The coconut oil not only moisturizes, but smells lovely. I added patchouli and grapefruit essential oils for an even beachier scent. But any essential oil will work (or none...but how can you resist playing with all the oils like a mad scientist?). So play away. It's almost as fun as a day at the beach. 
(Ok, not really...but at least you'll look cute.)

******************************************

Here's what you need:




Linked to:
Sugar & Dots HERE
36th Ave HERE
Hope Studios HERE
i should be mopping the floors HERE