Monday, May 6, 2013

{skinny} chocolate peanut butter crispies {gf,v}


The idea for this recipe came to me as I was laying in bed one night (instead of counting sheep on sleepless nights, I like to visually redecorate my house and create recipes). The last time we made any kind of rice crispy treat was around Christmas, and I was kinda disappointed. You know the feeling when you haven't eaten something in a while and you start remembering it as way better than it ever was? Childhood favorites often have this effect on me. Mac & cheese...never as good as when you were little. PB&J...blah. And the rice crispy treat...responsible for many a sugar crash and its fair share of cavities.
So, I decided to overhaul the childhood treat. These are a bit closer to scotcheroos, but no butterscotch, corn syrup, butter, or sugar. These only have 4 ingredients: rice cereal, peanut butter, agave, & dark chocolate. Way easy to make and way less sugar than the original. I only used 1 tbsp of agave for an entire batch. They taste like a crunchy, crispy peanut butter cup. Lovin' the dark chocolate. Lovin' the peanut butter. There's a whole lot to love without a whole lotta sugar. Your dentist will thank you.

*************************
{skinny} chocolate peanut butter crispies
(gluten free, vegan)

{{{INGREDIENTS}}}
*3 cups gluten free crispy rice cereal
*1 cup peanut butter (I used Trader Joe's...there's no sugar or salt added)
*1 tbsp agave (honey works too)
*3.5 oz dark chocolate (I used Trader Joe's 85% cacao bar. If you want more sweetness, go down in cacao percent.)

{{{DIRECTIONS}}}
1.Line an 8 x 8 pan with waxed paper.
2.Place the cereal in a large bowl and set aside.
3.Place the peanut butter and agave into a small pot and stir over medium heat.
4.After the pb & agave have melted together, pour mixture over cereal and gently stir with spatula.
5.Press the mixture evenly into pan.
6.In a different pot, melt the chocolate over low heat, stirring often.
7.Once melted, pour over pb mixture.
8.Place in fridge for 10 minutes before cutting.
9.Store in airtight container in fridge.

Makes 12 bars




Linked to:
Simply Sugar & Gluten Free HERE
i should be mopping the floor HERE
couponing and cooking HERE
Allergy Free Wednesday HERE
Foodie Friends Friday HERE
New Nostalgia HERE
happy hour projects HERE
tatertots and jello HERE

7 comments:

  1. Yum. I can not wait to make these. Thank you so much for sharing. I also pinned.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fabulous idea - these look amazing! Pinning :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. G'day! In one word YUM!!!
    Saw as part of Foodie Friends Friday Recipe Collection Mother's Day
    Cheers! Joanne
    What's On The List
    http://www.whatsonthelist.net

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is right up my alley and I want some PDQ. Thanks for sharing on Foodie Friends Friday. I have chosen your recipe as my host favorite. Your recipe will be featured in the Daily Dish Magazine on Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for stopping by ladies! I hope you all enjoy the recipe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Featuring this recipe this week on AFW! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete