Tuesday, April 2, 2013

goat cheese & fig spring salad


My raw, leafy green consumption comes to a screeching halt when the temperatures dip below 50. This isn't a conscious decision...it just kinda happens. There's something that just doesn't feel right about salads when it's frosty outside. My body switches to hearty soup, chili, and casserole mode. (I'm guessing this could have something to do with my Midwestern upbringing. Gotta pack on a few extra pounds in those colder months to make it through the winter alive.)
But here in Knoxville, the weather is warming up. Flowers are blooming, birds are chirping, and crisp, fresh salads are sounding enticing once again. This was a perfect recipe to help me rediscover my leafy love. I am head over heels about goat cheese. (Put that stuff on a shoe and I'd take a second glance.) The fig + goat cheese combo = sweet and savory. If you've never tried dried figs, you're missing out. Think: fig newtons minus the crumbly beige stuff. The walnuts add a great crunch, and the avocados lend a creamy butteryness (new word alert). If you're wanting a dressing, these flavors pair really well with a balsamic...my fave.
Dear Salads, I'm sorry I ever left you. If you promise to always be this good, I don't think we'll ever break up again. Sincerely, Salad lover who is obviously very tired since she's writing to her dinner

*********************************
goat cheese & fig spring salad
{{{INGREDIENTS}}}
*2 cups spinach or mixed greens
*1/4 avocado, sliced
*4 dried figs, chopped
*1/4 cup walnuts, chopped
*2 tbsp crumbled goat cheese
{{{DIRECTIONS}}}
1.Toss all ingredients together and enjoy!
Serves 1



Linked to:
i should be mopping the floor HERE
simply sugar & gluten free HERE
New Nostalgia HERE
gluten free home maker HERE