Monday, April 1, 2013

chocolate almond bars {gf,v}


When I was little my mom used to make a peanut butter chocolate bar around the holidays that I was almost as obsessed with as my pink and purple my little ponies. Though I'm not sure what all was in those bars, I have a good hunch the butter and sugar were plentiful. So I set out to healthify my fave childhood treat. There's no flour in these, just finely ground nuts and peanut butter as the protein-heavy base. No butter, instead healthy coconut oil. And no sugar, only honey and dates for a little sweetness. For the chocolate, I melted a bar of endangered species 88% cocoa (my favorite chocolate ever. it's the one with the black panther on it. love.)

I brought some of these over to a friend, and we both couldn't stop talking about how amazing they were.
so. so. amazing. Oh, and did I mention they're no bake? and vegan? and gluten free? yeah, game over.


 *********************************
chocolate almond bars
{gluten free, vegan}
{{{INGREDIENTS}}}
*1 cup almond meal
*1/2 cup ground cashews
*8 dates, finely chopped
*1/2 cup peanut butter
*1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
*1/4 tsp salt
*1 tbsp honey (use agave for vegan)
*1 tsp vanilla
*3 oz dark chocolate (I used Endangered Species 88%)
{{{DIRECTIONS}}}
1.Place the almond meal and cashews in a food processor.
2.Add in chopped dates.
3.Remove the mixture and place into a bowl with the rest of the ingredients (except chocolate) and mix well.
4.Line an 8 x 8 pan with wax paper and spoon the mixture into pan and press flat.
5.Place pan in the freezer for 15 min.
6.For the topping, melt the chocolate on low heat.
7.Pour chocolate onto crust and smooth out with spatula.
8.Place the pan back into the freezer for 5-10 minutes.
9.Remove and cut into squares.
10.Store bars in the fridge for up to a week.
Makes 16 bars





What's your favorite childhood treat?
Linked to:
Simply Sugar & Gluten Free HERE
Couponing & Cooking HERE
Make ahead meals for busy moms HERE
i should be mopping the floor HERE
new nostalgia HERE
tessa the domestic diva HERE
gluten free home maker HERE
allergy free alaska HERE

6 comments:

  1. These are not vegan because of the Honey. Sub agave or maple syrup to make vegan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right!!! Thanks for the correction...I do that all the time. Luckily it's an easy sub!

      Delete
  2. I would probably eat chocolate over just about anything, but these bars look especially yummy! Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my, these look scrumptious!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look amazing. I recreated a similar bar on my blog, but mine aren't no-bake, so you've one-upped me! Great photos, too. I'll have to try that endangered species bar as I'm almost through a bar of Dagoba 87% and it was delicious.

    ReplyDelete