Tuesday, March 12, 2013

zucchini & onion buffalo burgers


Truth be told: I'm not a huge meat eater. I was vegetarian for quite a while but decided to work a few meats back into the diet when I noticed my energy levels slumping. I think if I had been better about planning protein-rich meals, I could've stayed completely veg. But, alas, I was not. (alas? who says that?)

So even though I am back to carnivore country, I'm very selective (read: super incredibly picky) about the meat I eat. If I could, I'd raise my own beef, chickens, etc... and let them run around as they please, munching on super healthy green leafy things...but then I'd name them all, they would become my pets, and there's no way we'd be able to eat them...and then we'd be living with cows, chickens, pigs and a baby goat...and they'd probably be sleeping in our bedroom because no one could find out that we have them in the city or we'd be arrested by the poultry police. (I'm pretty sure that's a real thing.) So instead of living with Gertrude, the baby goat, in our house (of course I've named our imaginary goat already), we opt to buy our meat. 99% of the time we buy organic, grass fed meats, eggs, poultry, etc. I don't like the idea of added hormones, pesticides used on animals' foods, blah, blah blah. Anywho...all that to say, if I'm going to eat meat, it's gotta be good. And this buffalo burger, my friends, is way good!
Buffalo is one of the leaner meats out there, which means it can tend to get dry if you're not careful. So we like to mix a little onion and zucchini into the patties to add some moisture. Another tip: if you throw the burgers into a frying pan with a touch of olive oil, they stay cooking in their own juices (rather than a grill where all that juiciness is lost to the grate gods). So you're left with a deliciously juicy, heart-healthy, veggie-packed burger. Our condiment faves: avocado, spinach, tomato, ketchup, mustard, and goat cheese. Healthy & delicious.
********************************* 

zucchini & onion buffalo burgers

{{{INGREDIENTS}}}
*1 pound buffalo
*1 medium zucchini, grated
*1/2 onion, finely chopped
*1/4 tsp pepper
*1/4 tsp garlic powder
*1/2 tsp salt
*2 cloves minced garlic
*splash of olive oil

{{{DIRECTIONS}}}
1.Heat up a skillet on medium with a little olive oil.
2.In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients by hand. Get messy!
3.Form 4 patties.
4.Add to heated skillet.
5.Flip after 5-7 minutes.
6.Cook until done to desired pinkness.

Serves 4




Have you ever tried buffalo or bison???