Monday, March 18, 2013

chocolate cupcakes with peanut butter frosting {gf,v}


I was craving something rich and chocolaty. Fast forward to one hour later and me shoving my face with these delicious little morsels. Mission accomplished. (I may or may not have eaten 5 of these over the course of the day...they're so little, so that's like 1-1/2 regular sized cupcakes, right?)

These are vegan and gluten free...and as far as desserts go, pretty healthy. Sugar is the only not-so-healthy ingredient, and I used as little as possible without sacrificing flavor. I tossed in some coarsely chopped dark chocolate into the batter which adds a little crunch and a lot of richness. And then you add peanut butter. You can't go wrong with the classic chocolate/pb combo.

Truth be told, I'm not really a frosting person. But peanut butter? Peanut butter I can get on board with. So this frosting is definitely on the peanut buttery side versus the frosting side. (I'm not sure why we need to pick sides, but just to be clear, peanut butter wins. every time.)
*************************************
chocolate cupcakes with peanut butter frosting
{gluten free, vegan}
{{{INGREDIENTS}}}
*1 cup all purpose gluten free flour
*1/3 cup baking cocoa
*1/4 tsp salt
*1 tsp baking soda
*1/2 tsp baking powder
*1 cup almond milk
*1 tsp vanilla
*1 tsp apple cider vinegar
*1/4 cup agave
*1/3 cup sugar
*1 tsp ground flax seed
*1/3 cup melted coconut oil
*3 oz dark chocolate, chopped
FROSTING:
*1/2 cup peanut butter
*3 Tbs powdered sugar
*4 Tbs almond milk

{{{DIRECTIONS}}}
1.Preheat the oven to 350.
2.Combine the flour, cocoa, salt, baking soda, baking powder, sugar, and dark chocolate chunks in a large bowl.
3.In another bowl combine the almond milk, vanilla, apple cider vinegar, honey, flaxseed and oil.
4.Combine the dry and wet ingredients and mix on low with hand mixer.
5.Pour batter into greased muffin pan.
6.Bake for 15 min (for mini muffins) or until inserted toothpick comes out clean.
7.Let cool for 5 min before transferring to wire rack.
8.For frosting combine all the ingredients and mix on low with hand mixer.
9.Frost cupcakes when they are cooled. (I went old school and put the frosting in a plastic zip-top bag, clipped the corner, and swirled away.)
10.Store in air-tight container as soon as done frosting. I added a piece of bread to keep the cupcakes from drying out.
Makes 24 mini cupcakes





Everything is better after a cupcake.
Have a great day!

(I linked these to several linky parties...but blogger decided to erase. :( Please let me know if I've linked to your party but haven't put your link here. Thanks!)

Linked to:
Simply Sugar & Gluten Free HERE
New Nostalgia HERE
Couponing & Cooking HERE
Allergy Free Wednesday @ Tessa the domestic diva HERE
the Gluten Free Home Maker HERE

7 comments:

  1. Hi! Followed you over from New Nostalgia blog hop. I don't eat vegan or gf, but this PB frosting sounds great! I am definitely going to make that. Pinned the recipe and now following via GFC.

    Jackie
    www.thenonmarthamomma.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jackie! So glad you found us! You'll have to let us know when you try the frosting. It's delicious.

      Delete
  2. That frosting looks really good. May have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've made a poured icing out of peanut butter, coconut oil, and powdered sugar because I couldn't find a recipe fast enough! LOL I love making homemade dairy free peanut butter cups with the coconut oil, so I figured I'd concoct something similar for the birthday cake. I'm trying your version next though, because I prefer a more traditional type frosting as opposed to a poured icing. I can't wait till my birthday (in another month) so I have a reason to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks delish! Honey is not vegan though. I might try agave nectar instead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you are right...I always use honey & agave interchangeably. Got it changed in the recipe. Thanks!

      Delete
  5. Where do you find vegan dark chocolate? Which kind/brand do you prefer?

    ReplyDelete