Wednesday, February 13, 2013

larabar: hearts {gf,v}


 If you've ever had a LARABAR, you know how yumilicious they are. Each bar has only a handful of ingredients but somehow tastes like a nutty, fruit flavor explosion. I've seen quite a few Larabar recipes floating around the web, so I just mashed a few together. The results were tart, sweet, chewy deciciousness. You can play around with all of the ingredients. Try almonds. Or cranberries. Or pistachios. Or asparagus.
(just seeing if you're still paying attention. I do not advise putting asparagus in these.)
I think I'm going to try a cocoa Larabar recipe next. Cocoa + peanuts. It should taste like a chewy peanut butter cup, right? I'll keep you posted!
************************************
LARABAR: hearts
{gluten free, vegan}

{{{INGREDIENTS}}}
*1 cup cashews
*1/2 tsp salt
*1 tsp vanilla
*1/3 cup shredded coconut
*8 pitted medjool dates
*1/2 cup dried cherries
*sprinkle of cinnamon

{{{DIRECTIONS}}}
1.Place the cashews in a food processor until ground.
2.Add in salt, vanilla, coconut, cherries, and cinnamon.
3.Add in dates until mixture thickens.
4.Remove the mixture and flatten it out on a hard surface.
5.Use your cookie cutters to cut out shapes.
6.Store bars in air tight container for up to a week.
Makes a dozen 4" bars.







You don't have to use cookie cutters for these. You can roll them into balls. Or mold them into squares. Or just eat them directly from the food processor. (I won't tell.)

Linked to:
Gluten Free Homemaker HERE
Simply Sugar & Gluten Free HERE
Sugar & Dots HERE
Whole Lifestyle Nutrition HERE
DJ's Sugar Shack HERE
Seven thirty three HERE
Couponing & Cooking HERE
 Gluten Free Cat HERE
Foodie Friends Friday HERE


7 comments:

  1. Ooh, I've done Lara Bar-style treats before, but never with coconut. Thanks for the recipe! I'll be sure to try it. I love the idea of making them into hearts. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gina! The coconut adds a nice touch of sweetness. Enjoy!

      Delete
  2. These look great. The cashew Larabar tastes bland to me but you've made it interesting. I was excited to see a fellow Tennessean. I'm in Nashville but used to live in East Tennessee. (This is going to bring up my personal Google account when I hit publish so I'll tell you I'm enjoyinglutenfreelife.com.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shannon, you'll have to let me know if you try the recipe. We think the cherries and coconut add a little "oomph," otherwise, you're right, larabars can be a little blah. I'm headed over to your site right now. Gotta spread the TN love! :)

      Delete
  3. You're killing me with these amazing raw recipes!!! Come share at Raw Foods Thursdays!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I will! Thanks for stopping by Heather. :)

      Delete
  4. These sound delicious! Thanks for sharing and linking back to Foodie Friends Friday Linky Party!

    ReplyDelete