Monday, January 28, 2013

my favorite essential oils


I've been a long time user (and nerdy super fan) of essential oils. We use them every single day, in some form or another. They've become as commonplace around here as drinking water (or coffee...let's be honest). If you visit our house, there's a pretty good chance that somewhere oils are being diffused. We use oils for headaches, stomach issues, sore muscles, and even cleaning.
I won't get into all the science (read: boring stuff) behind essential oils. I just know that for us, they work. If you're looking for basic info, Young Living is a great resource for anything and everything that has to do with essential oils. Their products are 100% pure and therapy grade. Meaning nothing is added, and they're safe for your skin (though you still may want to mix with a carrier oil like grape seed or jojoba). 
Here are a few of my faves from their line and why I'm head over heals:
{LAVENDER} 
My absolute favorite oil. Nothing is as relaxing as Lavender. Nothing. A few drops on the feet before bed or into a bath before a soak, and all is right with the world. This is definitely the oil we go through the quickest. It's a regular in our diffuser. If you don't have a diffuser, wiping it over vents works great too. There have been studies that just inhaling lavender increases beta waves in the brain. Translation: SUPER heightened relaxation. Yes, please.

{PEPPERMINT}
Extremely useful if you ever get headaches...or stuffy sinuses...or both. Just a few dabs on your temples and the stuffies disappear. I also use this on achy muscles. It has a wonderful cooling sensation...but do NOT get this near your eyes. Made that mistake. Ouch. This oil also helps to calm an upset stomach. And it smells soooo minty fresh. Beats pepto bismol any day. It's the perfect scent for a midday pick-me-up. No more afternoon slump. Hooray!

{THIEVES}
I think of this oil as a super hero. It spends it's days fighting crime against all sorts of germs & evil viruses. It's a thankless job, but someones gotta do it. There are 5 different oils in this blend: clove, cinnamon bark, lemon, eucalyptus, & rosemary. It's a potent antiviral, antibacterial, and anti-infectious mixture worthy of super hero status. It was named "thieves" since it was discovered that 15th-century thieves used to slather themselves in the aforementioned oils & spices to avoid getting the plague...as they robbed dead bodies. Eww. But I guess it worked because they were around long enough after their pillaging to tell the tale of their secret weapons. When diffused, this oil kills tons of airborne viruses and bacteria. We even clean our counter tops with a "thieves" mixture. Sparkling counters + spicy, natural cinnamon scent = winning. And when applied to the feet, it keeps colds & illnesses at bay. I feel healthier just writing about it. (Note: this is one of those oils best used with jojoba or some other carrier oil when applied to the skin. Clove & cinnamon oils tend to be kinda hot...and not in the Paris Hilton "that's hot" kinda way. More like, can potentially leave your skin red & rashy, kinda hot. Very different. Equally tragic.)  
{JOY}
I don't know what it is about this oil, but it just makes me happy. (They must have known that would happen since they didn't call it "grumpy.") It's another blend, and there's a TON of stuff in here: Rose, Bergamot, Mandarin, Ylang Ylang, Lemon, Geranium, Jasmine, Palmarosa, Roman Chamomile, & Rosewood. Rose is the standout here in my opinion. Known for its stimulating and balancing properties, rose has been used for thousands of years to help reduce scarring & wrinkles. And it just smells so darn good. My preferred method of application with this beauty is behind the ears or on the neck. Pure joy.

{GRAPEFRUIT}
The best word to describe this oil is refreshing. Diffusing grapefruit in the kitchen immediately rectifies any cooking/baking mishaps and leaves the room smelling amazing. Sometimes I'll take a drop or two and mix it into my water bottle. It tastes delicious and is great for cleansing the kidneys and overall detoxing. It's also been studied for its antitumoral properties and is said to help with cellulite...though I've yet to see that kick in yet! I'm still holding out hope. Maybe it just takes a few years?

{PEACE & CALMING}
This is my "hippie blend." I like to think of myself as super chill and totes laid back when I'm wearing this. (though Arik may be snorting at this thought.) The blend is: Blue Tansy, Patchouli, Tangerine, Orange, & Ylang Ylang. It's great diffused, slathered on feet...I would bathe in a tub full of this stuff if I could. And as a bonus, "age of aquarius" seems to magically play on a loop with each use. (I know, weird 70's music reference...I couldn't think of another hippie song.)

**************************

 If you want a more in depth look at essential oils, the "Essential Oils Desk Reference" book is the absolute BEST there is. Period. It describes every oil known to man, their uses, origins, historical data, application methods, medical properties, and any cautions. It's a little expensive, but totally worth it.

Do you use essential oils? Do you have any favorites? 
**************************
This post is for informational purposes only and are the opinions of the author. Please consult your health care professional for serious health concerns.

2 comments:

  1. My favorites are lavender and vetiver! But, I want to feel like a super chill hippie too...I'll have to start using peace and calming now!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think vetiver is supposed to have calming effects too. Think what a SUPER chill hippie chick you'd be if you used both!

      Delete