Saturday, February 4, 2012

Home brew

My husband has been busy the last few weeks brewing a homemade, imperial blond ale. I had absolutely no idea what went into brewing beer (and still kinda don't). But I do know it takes weeks before the beer is ready to drink...and there's lots of sanitizing and measuring things with contraptions that are reminiscent of high school chemistry class and siphoning and straining (the beer, not the brain...well, maybe a bit of both). Who knew so much went into a bottle of beer? 

This first batch is finally finished, and he's now able to reap the rewards of all his hard work. The consensus is 4-1/2 out of 5 stars. Next up: a home brew said to rival Dogfish Head's 90 minute IPA. (Which I'm told is a big deal since Dogfish Head is no longer available in our area, and that beer is "awesome") We'll keep you posted.











8 comments:

  1. nice job arik! seems like there are a lot of components to invest in! what held it back from that elusive half star?

    have you watched the documentary beer wars? I was skeptical, but ended up finding it to be really interesting. Pretty sure they focused on dogfish head in it, although it could have been another brewery with an equally silly name.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ok, just looked it up. It was in the movie.

      Delete
    2. Yup, we saw it. It actually was kinda interesting. Arik said he wanted to have a few other beers under his belt to compare before he started throwing around 5 stars!

      Delete
  2. I love Dogfish head, it really is a great beer.

    My fiance brews his own beer, and I also didn't know how much time (and equipment!) went into it. It was surprising, and also really cool to watch the whole process. His first few batches came out pretty weird, but over time they've gotten good! A friend of ours also likes to experiment with adding flavors to his homemade brews, which is cool... but never turns out well and we always have to lie when he has us taste them :X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Megan: Yeah, it's crazy how much it takes to brew beer. Lots of patience...and money I'm discovering. :)

      Delete
  3. that sounds delicious! we want to buy a kit just to make some beers that we can't buy around here, too...but you're right, it is a lot of work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow you guys brewed your own beer. That's intense. I hate to say this but all beer taste the same too me..lol. I still don't understand the difference between beer, ale, lager..etc.

    http://www.lyzhang.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ly: No, not "you guys"...it was definitely all my husband doing the brewing while I watched in awe! :) I'm with you, I have no idea the differences in types of beer and while we're being honest...I would MUCH rather have a glass of wine.

      Delete