Friday, January 13, 2012

eggplant parm (sort of)


You know that feeling when you're half way (sometimes only a quarter) into a recipe and you think "hmmm, I may be in over my head....and I'm missing 3 ingredients?" Yeah, this was one of those times. "Broiling? What is that again? Before the baking? Soak eggplant for 30 minutes? Parmesan...yeah, don't have it. What am I doing?"  Yes, I realize the recipe is Eggplant PARMESAN. Did I let my lack of parmesan cheese and clear lack of skill stop me? No, I forged ahead. I'm pretty glad I did since the finished dish was quite tasty (and healthy). If you're cool spending 45 minutes prepping, chopping, broiling, then this recipe is for you! I found this recipe on www.myrecipes.com Let me know if you try it and what you think. I bet it's even better with parmesan! 


Ingredients

  • 1/2 cup dry white wine (I had some Kendall Jackson chardonnay, so threw some of that in)
  • 1 tablespoon dried basil
  • 1 tablespoon dried oregano
  • 4 (8-ounce) cans no-salt-added tomato sauce
  • 1 (28-ounce) can no-salt-added whole tomatoes, undrained and chopped
  • 1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 2 (1-pound) eggplants, cut crosswise into 1/4-inch slices
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 3 egg whites, lightly beaten
  • 1 1/4 cups Italian-seasoned breadcrumbs (I only had panko, just added Italian seasoning)
  • 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese (I did not have...sad)
  • Vegetable cooking spray
  • 3 cups (12 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
  • Fresh oregano sprigs (optional) (Nope, didn't have this either)

Preparation

Combine first 7 ingredients in a large saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, 20 minutes.
Place eggplant in a large bowl; add water to cover, and let stand 30 minutes. Drain well; blot dry with paper towels. 
Combine 1/4 cup water and egg whites in a shallow bowl. Combine breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese; stir well. Dip eggplant in egg white mixture, and dredge in breadcrumb mixture.
Place half of eggplant on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray, and broil 5 minutes on each side or until browned. Repeat procedure with remaining eggplant. Set eggplant aside.
Spread half of tomato mixture in bottom of a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Arrange half of eggplant over sauce; top with half of mozzarella cheese. Repeat layers with remaining sauce, eggplant, and cheese.
Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until bubbly. Let stand 5 minutes before serving. Garnish with fresh oregano sprigs, if desired. Makes 8 Servings.

Nutritional Information

Amount per serving
  • Calories: 298
  • Calories from fat: 26%
  • Fat: 8.5g
  • Saturated fat: 5g
  • Monounsaturated fat: 2.2g
  • Polyunsaturated fat: 0.4g
  • Protein: 19.2g
  • Carbohydrate: 38.8g
  • Fiber: 2.6g
  • Cholesterol: 27mg
  • Iron: 2.8mg
  • Sodium: 818mg
  • Calcium: 422mg










2 comments:

  1. LOL, it looks like you were able to improvise well. The finished dish looks yummy!

    *Erin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Erin! Not sure if it was improvising or beginners luck that carried me through! Either way, I'll take it.

      Delete